I've never organised a bookclub before and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We started by making collages of our favourite characters, then I went round the room and asked the kids what they wanted from a bookclub and made a list of activities we can do over the next few months. Next month will be how to make our own books, something I have a good experience of, so we will probably do simple concertina books.
Then on Tuesday, I attended a workshop on Emotional Literacy and Multiple Intelligences run by Elizabeth Morris, a psychotherapist, psychologist and all round incredibly knowledgable lady on children and their development. To let our children grow up to be emotionally intelligent adults John Gottman recommends following 5 principles and these were the basis for the workshop that I attended.
What are the five elements of emotion coaching?
- Be aware of a child's emotions
- Recognize emotional expression as an opportunity for intimacy and teaching
- Listen empathetically and validate a child's feelings
- Label emotions in words a child can understand
- Help a child come up with an appropriate way to solve a problem or deal with an upsetting issue or situation
It was a fascinating day and I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to putting some of the things I learnt into place.