Wednesday 5 September 2012

Summer 2012

Kampa Museum, Prague.
Its all been quiet on the blogging front this summer, mainly because I have been having a FANTASTIC holidays.  In the last couple of months I have run the Race for Life, raising money for cancer research uk, taken my kids climbing and horse riding, started yoga classes, been to Prague with my five very clever and talented sisters, been to Wales to visit my parents and spent lots of time on the beach.  I have also set a five year plan of moving back to North Wales to be nearer the sea.

I have also been researching where I want to go next with my life, I have become disillusioned with the art world and got fed up of trying to promote myself and 'make it' within the art scene.  Not anyone's fault, I just don't like having to promote myself.

So after a summer of soul searching and reading and walking, I realised that I love creativity more than I love fine art.  I enjoy the actual making, but really not that concerned with the piece after that.  I don't know how to value my work in monetary terms, because money isn't a priority in my life, even though I do need it for bills, food etc....

This led to me deciding to enrol on a Mindfulness and Life Coaching course, I want to combine this knowledge with creativity and work with other people exploring how creativity can be used for positive purposes.  So from being fairly disillusioned, I am now boinging with energy and excitement over the future and what it will bring.  I'm not giving up my own artwork, but will be making purely for the pleasure of making without having the pressure of selling and promoting myself.

Kutna Hora

Kutna Hora

2 comments:

  1. Promotion is a killer for an Artist. I only display my art now in my own studio, although I do still list it on line. I have never really been interested in selling it all I want to do is paint. ButI need to make some sort of a living. So thats why I teach, its fantastic as not only do I help other people to enjoy producing art , but they inspire me and keep me from feeling isolated. I then am free to produce whatever I want with no pressure to make money from it, win win. So I think the decision you have made is brilliant, good luck x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice, I'm loving learning about mindfulness and have found it inspires me to create more because my mind is free of the rubbish that usually floats around in there! Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete